Mark Sapiro <m...@msapiro.net> recently posted, in part...

Are you installing Mailman 2.1.19 on the Red Hat system or
using whatever Red Hat rpm package that's available, and if the
latter, what is that? And, what Mailman will you be using on
the RHEL 7 system?

Well my original plan was to install the latest and greatest
Mailman on both the old RHEL 5 system, and then the new RHEL 7,
rather than use whatever the RPM package does.

I ask because the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/8486953> may
be relevant.

It definitely is relevant.  I was just asking the system admin if
I should be putting the install someplace other than what was
recommended in the manual and I specifically mentioned FHS
issues.

Assuming you will be installing Mailman 2.1.19 from source, I
would be more concerned over potential difficulties due to the
older Python than with any gotchas from moving to a newer
Python although there are some compatibility issues with older
Mailman versions and newer Python. See
<http://wiki.list.org/x/4030629> for more on both kinds.

Well that's why I thought it could avoid issues by installing the
latest Python as well, just for Mailman, and leave the system
Python alone.

My production server is Centos 5 with Python 2.4.3, but I also have
Python 2.7.9 installed and configure Mailman
--with-python=/usr/bin/python2.7. I wouldn't necessarily call it "good
practice", but it's certainly a viable approach.

Thanks for the confirmation.

...BC

--
 Bill Costa