On Tue, 24 Mar 2015, Thomas Gramstad wrote:
On Tue, 24 Mar 2015, Lucio Chiappetti wrote:
On Mon, 23 Mar 2015, Thomas Gramstad wrote:
 On Mon, 23 Mar 2015, Lucio Chiappetti wrote:

 digest mode allows o receive one cumulative post per day

which is something many people can appreciate (at least those who complain because they are interrupted in their work by too many new mails arriving)

How can mail "interrupt"?

I am not saying I am one of those who are so annoyed when for instance one gets "me too" replies on an internal organization discussion list (or simply condolences for an obituary of a colleague) ... in which case I suggest them to use digest mode.

However mailing lists are usually a second priority to our main activity, be they discussion or technical support ones. So while it is good to reply asap to a person-to-person mail message, it is also good to wait to deal with mailing list messages. This is less distracting, allows to cool down discussions, to enforce the rule of one-post-per-day in the policy of some mailing lists etc. etc. ... so thanks to mailman authors for having it !

 But people don't have proper MUAs, or if they do, many don't know
 how to use them.

Well, sorry, too bad for them ! :-)

Digest version is something the (knowledgeable) user enables in
the personal setting.

As list owner / moderator I can decide to disable this setting,

It is surely in your power and rights :-)

which is something many people appreciate, as it prevents hard to
read comments on big "blobs" of text, and dysfunctional Subject:
lines.

Usually the clueless which will reply to a digest are the same clueless who are unable to turn it on if it is off by default, and the same clueless unable to find a proper MUA and use it.

As list owner / moderator I can decide to disable this setting,
"Well, sorry, too bad for them !" :-)

Or "pity for them" :-)  ... the poor "knowledgeable users"