I am running a few mailing lists with private archive on my machine.
I see that /var/lib/mailman/archives/private/ contains two directories
per list one named "listname" and the other one "listname.mbox".

Owned by wwwrun.mailman, permissions drwxrwsr-x

The listname directory contains one index.html owned by wwwrun.mailman while all other directories and text files are owned by mailman.mailman.

The listname.mbox directory contains a single file with the same name.

Now I noticed that at present such file is owned by me (lucio.staff)
with permissions -rw-rw-r--

And I see in the log files some error messages like

Jun 16 07:02:26 2015 (3112) Uncaught runner exception: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/var/lib/mailman/archives/private/fitsconv.mbox/fitsconv.mbox'

I suspect this may be due to the fact a while ago I created some soft links from my own ~/.mail directory e.g. fitsconv.mbox -> /var/lib/mailman/archives/private/fitsconv.mbox/fitsconv.mbox
(the links are owned by me and have lrwxrwxrwx)

The idea was that I could, as administrator, access the entire sequence of messages of a list from my mail client (alpine), instead than with the web interface. Of course I'd just need read access, not write.

1) which are the correct permissions ?

2) apparently since the wrong permission were setup, archiving stopped to
   work. Is there a way to rebuild the archives from messages stored in
   personal folders (I am not sure I have all of them though !)