On 10/11/2015 7:31 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
On 10/11/2015 03:05 PM, John Swartzentruber wrote:
Until this morning I've had mailman working fine for me (for many years
and over one year with my current server, which is running CentOS 6).
Basically one small list that is active daily and a few other lists that
are mostly inactive. I wanted to disable two of the inactive lists
without removing them or their archives. To do this, I edited my
/etc/mailman/virtual-mailman file and added "# " in front of all of the
entries for those lists. I did the same in the /etc/mailman/aliases
file. Prior to these edits I had googled and found some messages from
Mark that seemed to indicate that this was an appropriate approach.

OK

I rebuilt the /etc/mailman/virtual-mailman.db file using "postmap
virtual-mailman" command. I think I failed to rebuild the aliases.db
file at this point. I reloaded postfix (postfix reload). I assumed
everything was fine and went about my day. Around noon I received an
email from a list user indicating that the list was down. When he
posted, he got this error:

Run

postmap /etc/mailman/virtual-mailman

and

postalias /etc/mailman/aliases

assuming those are the correct paths, and run them both as the 'mailman'
user. In any case, the resultant virtual-mailman.db and aliases.db
should be both user and group 'mailman' or whatever the mailman
user/group is on your system.

Note that the command is postmap for the virtual maps and postalias for
the aliases;

If that doesn't fix it, post the output from 'postconf -n' and the
postfix log messages for a failed delivery.

Thanks Mark. That seems to have made things work. I'm guessing the problem must have been that my aliases.db and virtual-mailman.db files were root:mailman, not mailman:mailman. I did a chown on them and my message just went through.

For future reference, where is the postfix log? Is this just the normal /var/log/maillog file? Also, how do I run those commands as the mailman user? I tried "su mailman" and "su - mailman", but it says "This account is currently not available". I see that it is listed as nologin in /etc/passwd.

Thanks again for your help. I'm glad things are working again and I have some clue as to how I inadvertently broke things.