My mailman instance (2.1.9) has gotten into a funky broken state where one
of my lists has become inoperable, with a message which should be awaiting
moderation, but the moderator never got notified. The list's config appears
to be corrupt - attempting to load the admin web interface results in a
timeouts (the archive and basic listinfo pages still work, and the admin
interface for all other lists work). When I look in
/var/lib/mailman/lists/<listname>,
I can see that mailman is continually rewriting config.pck every few
seconds.

I attempted to fix the issue by restoring the contents of
/var/lib/mailman/lists/<listname> from the previous day's backup, and that
got the config into a working state such that it was possible to load the
web admin interface for the list, but as soon as I started back up the
mailman service, it got right back into the same broken state.

Next I tried deleting the list with rmlist, then recreating it and
importing its config and membership with config_list and sync_members, but
again, as soon as I restart the mailman service, it gets right back into
the same broken state.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Kevin Bowen
UCSD ITS UBPS