On 5/2/2020 5:01 PM, Warren Toomey wrote:
On 5/1/20 3:01 PM, Warren Toomey wrote:
Hi all, I upgraded to Mailman 2.1.26 on my Ubuntu 18.04 server yesterday.
On Sat, May 02, 2020 at 10:12:55AM -0700, Mark Sapiro wrote:
There is an issue in 2.1.26 only that can cause this. See
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/mailman/+bug/1762871>. The fix for this is
<https://bazaar.launchpad.net/~mailman-coders/mailman/2.1/revision/1750>.

Thanks Mark. I think I worked out what happened, but I'm not 100% sure.
Yes, I upgraded to 2.1.26 using Ubuntu's package management system.

However, two years ago I had applied the patch you mentioned to the previous
Mailman installation. I had also put the original python source files into
version control using RCS, just in case the patch needed to be backed out.

What I think has happened is that some sub-component of the upgrade process
(e.g. make) has checked out the old source files back out from the RCS
storage. Thus, I ended up with those two source files before the patch was
applied.

Anyway, I've restored the files to the current version and Mailman is
working normally again. I've also checked in the patched files so it won't
happen again.

Cheers, Warren

As I have written before, when I was a Mailman administrator
(before I retired) I looked at Ubuntu packages, and their Mailman had
many undocumented patches, as well as one patch that deleted a
library that sometimes was needed.  So I spent time creating my
own Ubuntu package for Mailman from the source.  I assume that my
method would work for the current release of Mailman.  For information
contact me off-list.  My procedure is not complex.

--Barry Finkel