From: Mark Sapiro <m...@msapiro.net>
Sent: Thursday, July 30, 2020 8:05 PM
To: mailman-users@python.org
Subject: [Mailman-Users] Re: dnspython error

On 7/30/20 6:11 PM, csa--- via Mailman-Users wrote:
> I'm updating Mailman from 2.1.19 to 2.1.34 from source. When I run
> configure
>

>       ./configure --prefix=/var/lib/mailman --with-username=list
> --with-groupname=list --with-cgi-gid=www-data --with-mail-gid=list
>
> I get an error that dnspython is not installed
>
>       checking dnspython... configure: error:
>
> when I then try and install dnspycthon using pip, I get
>
>       Requirement already satisfied: dnspython in
> /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages
What happens if you invoke Python and type

import dns.resolver

does that succeed or give ImportError

That's what configure is doing to determine if you have dnspython installed.
If you get an ImportError with the manual import, pip must be looking
somewhere that isn't in your path. I don't spicifically know what the issue
is, but if in Python you type

import sys
sys.path

is '/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages' one of the paths listed? It it is and
you can't import dns.resolver, there's something amiss with its
installation. You could try

sudo pip uninstall dnspython
sudo pip install dnspython

and see if that helps.

Otherwise, you may have more than one Python and dnspython is not installed
in the default one. What does

which -a python

show?