Am 09.08.20 um 00:38 schrieb Mark Sapiro:

> whereas the msgstr ends in
>
> "</ul>\n"
>
> That is: It misses the last line which only consists of blanks.
> I don't understand why this needed to be "fixed". The line of blanks is
> just whitespace and is not rendered in the HTML anyway and msgfmt (at
> least my "(GNU gettext-tools) 0.19.8.1" version) doesn't complain.

Without adding the empty line, my copy of msgformat refused to compile it.
0.19.8.1-10build1, apparently the same version as yours, but still.

> I'm not sure what the problem is with Russian. It hasn't been utf-8 all
> along. Before 2.1.19, it was koi8-r. See
> <https://bazaar.launchpad.net/~mailman-coders/mailman/2.1/view/head:/NEWS#L955>.ho

Indeed. The additional problem with Russian/Cyrillic is that you have
those various competing encodings, koi8, ISO-8859-5 and I think a third
one, and so recoding is always trial and error.

The strange thing though, is that /etc/mailman/ru isn't automatically
re-generated after the encoding has changed. I also deleted the
directory and expected it to be regenerated by dpkg-reconfigure mailman
but that didn't happen either. Last, I inspected the
/var/lib/dpkg/info/mailman.postinst to understand what it does, but I
was kind overwhelmed by it, so what I ended up with was installing
mailman on a virtual machine and copying the generated /etc/mailman/ru
from there.

I wonder, if in the long run the only sustainable solution is upgrading
to mailman 3, also having noticed that Debian bullseye seems to have
removed mailman2 altogether. But the upgrade still isn't
straightforward, is it?

Cheers,

Johannes