On 8/21/20 12:53 AM, Lucio Chiappetti wrote:

> I would like to close completely the list from subscription requests (so
> that they can be inserted only by the administrators).
>
> I thought to set   ban_list ^.*@.*

Even simpler is just

  ^

in the ban list, but yours will work.

> Is there any other better option ?

Probably not.

> Will the ban_list interfere with existing subscriptions ?

Only for changes of address in Mailman 2.1. In 2.1, the ban list only
affects subscription and changes of address (you cant change an address
to one which is banned).  However, even an admin can't subscribe a
banned address. To add new members, you'd need to first remove the match
all pattern from the ban_list and then add it back.

This changes in Mailman 3. In MM 3, banned addresses can't post either.