On 9/17/2020 11:40 AM, Mark Sapiro wrote:

> What makes you think messages aren't being archived?
Because when I look at it via the web, the emails I sent as a test are
not there. There is no September 2020 link and the date on the mbox file
is old (Feb 2020).

> Is your archive public? If so, is
> /var/lib/mailman/archives/public/<listname> a symlink to
> /var/lib/mailman/archives/private/<listname>, or is it an entire archive
> structure. The latter can occur in some backup-restore scenarios and
> results in a public (pipermail URL) archive that is never updated
> because only/var/lib/mailman/archives/private/<listname> is actually
> updated.
There are no sym links. Private looks like just place holders as there
is no data there nor any archives. It looks like everything is in
public. The ownership is root:mailman and the group has R/O permissions.
Only root has write. I'm assuming that is correct, otherwise check_perms
would fix it.

> /var/lib/mailman/archives/public/<listname> must be a symlink to
> /var/lib/mailman/archives/private/<listname>. If that's the issue, you
> can fix it manually, or I think just setting Archiving Options ->
> archive_private to private and then back to public in the web admin UI
> will fix it.
Looks like it is backwards. This must be the problem but how it got this
way I have no clue. Since the real data is in public, doing either would
mess it up, right?

> Eailier I asked "Is
> /var/lib/mailman/archives/private/<listname>.mbox/<listname>.mbox being
> updated?" and you answered "No. Those files are owned by
> mailman:mailman." which doesn't answer the question.
The no applied to your question. I included the other information in
case it you asked.

> Are new messages being appended to the
> /var/lib/mailman/archives/private/<listname>.mbox/<listname>.mbox files?
No