On 10/25/2020 11:48 AM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> On 10/25/20 7:37 AM, Dennis Putnam wrote:
>
>> This is still a bit confusing. I need to state that 'fetchmail' is
>> involved here. I don't know how it interfaces but I have the
>> 'postmaster' parameter in 'fetchmailrc' set to 'mailman'. This was not
>> an issue with the previous version of mailman so I did not change it.
>> That I had to use 'nobody' when installing the new version was different
>> than the old version. I really don't know what else that would effect.
>
> Whatever the cause, the /usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman wrapper is being
> invoked by group mailman so you need to start over with `configure` and
> `make install` with the --with-mail-gid=mailman option to configure and
> not with --with-mail-gid=nobody.
>

>> Yes, I ran 'check_perms' and it set it back.
>
> Good. Leave it that way.
>

>> This is where I'm a bit confused. That aliases file is owned by
>> mailman:mailman.
> Actually, it's the aliases.db file that counts and only the owner,
> unless the invoking user:group comes from fetchmail.
>
>> I don't know what configure file you are talking about.
> I'm talking about the configure command you use to configure Mailman.
>

>> If you are referring to rebuilding mailman and the
>> 'configure' command, that was where this started. I don't know if you
>> recall the emails from back when I was installing 2.1.34. If I set that
>> to 'mailman' rather than 'nobody', mailman will not start.
>
> Are you referring to the thread at
> <https://mail.python.org/archives/list/mailman-users@python.org/thread/NR7ACRKU552EJYGXNLUVUVB47HF2N3QD/>?
> If so, I don't have time at the moment to look in detail, but the issue
> seemed to be permissions and only changing the --with-mail-gid option
> from mailman to nobody would not have affected this at all.

Hi Mark,

Yes that is what I was referring to. I have this sorted out now but I
don't understand it completely. There are actually 2 servers involved
here. The one you helped with originally  (and on which that article was
based) was RHEL 7 and that is where I used 'nobody' to get it working.
This one is CentOS 7 which I thought was the same but obviously it is
slightly different. So I did indeed change it to 'mailman' and now it
works. Thanks again.