On 10/29/20 3:00 AM, Onyeibo Oku wrote:

> I also tried the steps illustrated on
> https://debian-administration.org/article/567/Migrating_mailman_lists.
> That gave me lots of errors pertaining to permissions despite running
> 'check_perms -f' (makes me wonder what the recommended
> permissions/ownership for files in /var/lib/mailman/ would be).

check_perms should make them right. The important thing is group
permissions on files should be `rw` and directories `rws` and the group
should be Mailman's group. If check_perms says things are OK and there
are still permission errors, it is probably a SELinux or apparmor issue.

> In the
> end, the lists were visible via the web interface but I couldn't log
> into administration from there (I got an error page ... something about
> Mailman being buggy).  Some other pages wouldn't open too.

When you get the "we hit a bug" page, you have to look at Mailman's
error log to see what the issue is.

Did you see https://wiki.list.org/x/4030682 and the two posts linked
from its first paragraph?

Basically, the first step is to install Mailman and get it working on
the new server. Once you have a working Mailman installation on the new
server, for each list you want to move, create the
/var/lib/mailman/LISTNAME directory on the new server and move the
/var/lib/mailman/LISTNAME/config.pck file to it. That should be all you
need to move the list. For archives, create the
/var/lib/mailman/archives/private/LISTNAME.mbox directory and move the
/var/lib/mailman/archives/private/LISTNAME.mbox/LISTNAME.mbox file. Then
run `bin/arch --wipe LISTNAME` as the mailman user to rebuild the
pipermail archive.