As regards thread hijacking, there is an IETF 'In-Reply-To:' header <https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4021#page-10> that keeps track of that, regardless the string in the 'Subject:' header.  Without that, creating a threaded email display would be a nightmare.  This is one of the most constant (re-)training issues I have to address as a Mailman admin.  That, and the necessity of trimming quotes. :-/

-Chip-