Thanks - part of my problem was fixed:
> DEFAULT_URL and DEFAULT_URL_HOST (set in mm_cfg.py) are also None.

Setting  DEFAULT_URL_HOST seems to have solved the genaliases
part of my problems, as I can now run the command and it generates
the files it should.

However, mailman aliases are still user unknown with
<"|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post test-list"@ardbeg.xxxxxx.net>

> The alias apparently contains quotation marks, but it should not.  I
> don't know whether some program is generating them that way, or if you
> put them in.

Those are defined in the usual way as:

## test-list mailing list
test-list:              "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post test-list"

(etc.)

so I think some program is generating them, but which one?

- Eva

ma 7. jouluk. 2020 klo 16.44 Stephen J. Turnbull (