On 1/28/21 5:36 AM, Bader, Robert (Bob) wrote:
> I have a list on my mailman server 2.1 called “mailman”, with no users. Is
> this a default list that gets created, can I delete it what is it for,

No, you can't delete it. Mailman 2.1 requires that you have a site list,
normally called `mailman` and won't run without it.

It is used as the sender of some notices and is exposed on the web admin
and listinfo pages as a place to go for help.

> it may have been created by an old admin who was testing? Also, I started
> getting a lot of subscription requests to this list, I think it is a bot, but
> not sure what it is trying to do. Anyway this got me thinking. Is there a way
> to setup a list to automatically discard subscription requests and NOT send a
> rejection notice? I could ban all domains from that list, but it is my
> understanding a rejection notice gets sent. We have some lists where the
> admin is the person who populates the list.

For the `mailman` list we recommend subscribing the site admin(s) and
setting generic_nonmember_action to accept and subscribe policy to
Require approval and discard any subscription requests.

You can set the ban_list to
```
^.
```
This will not send a rejection notice if the subscription attempt is via
the web. It will only send a notice if the subscription request is via
email, but bots don't normally subscribe this way.