On 3/17/21 8:32 AM, Bader, Robert (Bob) wrote:

> For moving over mailman it looks like I can just:
>

>   *   Have incoming mail held ****Our mail is scanned before it gets to the
> server, so I can have the mail held while I perform the migration.
>   *   Stop mailman service on new server
>   *   Copy (or rsync) /var/lib/mailman/ to new server this will cover …/data
> & …/archives & …/lists
>   *   chown -R root:mailman  For /var/lib/mailman/ ******Current server has
> this owner & group ,one example  I saw had nobody:mailman , not sure if that
> makes difference?

Only group is significant. Owner doesn't matter and is usually the user
that did the installation or the Mailman user or the web server user
depending on what created the file.

>   *   chmod -R a+rx,g+ws /var/lib/mailman/

It would be better for this and the above to use the -a option on the
rsync and copy and just run Mailman's bin/check_perms after. Your chmod
will not set g+r which is required (if missing). it will also set g+s on
files as well as directories. the only files that should be g+s are the
wrappers in cgi-bin and mail/mailman although in RHEL/CENTOS, these are
in /usr/lib/mailman, not /var/lib/mailman/.

>   *   Copy (or rsync)  /etc/mailman/mm_cfg.py  to new server
>   *   run /usr/lib/mailman/bin/mmsitepass on new server  ***** To setup new
> site password on the new server
>   *   Have the DNS & MX records to point to the new server IP. ******** I
> need to give the server a new IP but can keep the same domain name.
>   *   Startup mailman
>   *   Test initial access
>   *   Release incoming mail
>   *   Test again
>   *   Get a coffee or work on resume depending on how it goes 😊
> Questions:
>
>   *   Am I missing anything?
>   *   Also old server is version 2.1.12 and new version is version 2.1.15.
> will that be an issue?

No, moving data from 2.1.12 to 2.1.15 is not an issue, but as Carl says,
Installing a newer version from source on the new server might be
preferable. See <https://wiki.list.org/x/17892071> for info on upgrading
the CentOS 2.1.15 installation from source. I would recommend going to
2.1.34 or the head of the
<https://code.launchpad.net/~mailman-coders/mailman/2.1> branch

> Side notes:
>
> ****** I have tried this process to a test server and it looks good, except
> of course that the test server has a different DNS name and can’t
> send/receive mail. and when I connect to it I do not see any of my lists. I
> assume this because I am not accessing the test server via the same domain
> name as the old server... BUT I used the firefox add in LiveHosts (Switch
> your host/IP mappings in real time without editing your hosts file). So when
> I hit the IP of the test server it sends the domain of the old mailman
> server, so I actually see my lists and archives to verify email lists and
> archives copied over….. Pretty snazzy *************

If you set VIRTUAL_HOST_OVERVIEW = Off in mm_cfg.py, mailman will show
all lists regardless of domain.