On 4/6/21 12:21 AM, David Nicol wrote:
> * But looking at the postfix logs, it appears to me that mailman does try
> to send a message to the moderator
>
> Apr  5 22:12:05 ip-xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx postfix/smtp[9473]: 6D0973EB91: to=<
> testmail-ow...@lists.xxx.org.uk>,
>
> But, the email message is being sent to the generic owner, rather than the
> specific names filled into either the moderator or administrator boxes on
> the general tab.

But that message should be delivered to Mailman and Mailman should then
resend it to the owners and moderators.

There is some issue with your aliases for delivery to Mailman.  Are you
using Postfix/Mailman integration? Do you have a full set of aliases for
each list including ones for the -owner address?

Also, what are the other Postfix log entries for queue ID 6D0973EB91?

> Also, I note that the footer of the mailing list has:
>    TESTmail list run by testmail-owner at lists.XXX.org.uk
> rather than the specific owner. Which suggests the same issue.

That's not related. That's the result of the fix for
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/mailman/+bug/1694384 which wanted the actual
addresses not displayed on public web pages.

> Any clues as to what is not quite correct in the mailman setup?

Postfix delivery to the list-owner addresses.

The rest of this is personal and off topic and you can reply off list to
me, but you are not now a member of the mailman-users@python.org list. I
had trouble approving your post because you were subscribed to the list
as a `user`, but your `user` record had no associated address record.
This was causing all posts to the list (fortunately caught while yours
was still the only one) the be shunted because Mailman could not look up
the delivery status for your address. Needless to say, this should not
happen.

Please tell me as best as you can recall the steps you took and the
order in which you took them in order to join the list.