I used to allow 'accept_these_nonmembers' for discussion list members who just couldn't seem to remember their subscription address.  This was true even when replying to a post due to forwards they had set up.

Then we reached the point that most of the members had multiple addresses and a majority wanted multiple 'accept_' addresses. Maintenance of those addresses became a major headache, primarily because there is apparently no way to associate a name with an address in the 'accept_' list.  Also, members would leave by unsubbing their primary address but had no way to delete their 'accept_' addresses.

These are discussion groups for membership organizations, so I finally put my foot down and said "no alternate addresses", and somehow everyone manages to remember their subscription address. The only reason I use 'accept_' addresses is for temporary special cases like non-members involved in special projects.

-Chip-