-------- Original Message --------
From: Mark Sapiro [mailto:m...@msapiro.net]
Sent: Tuesday, April 20, 2021, 18:55 UTC

> On 4/19/21 10:43 PM, Mark Dale via Mailman-Users wrote:
>>
>> François -- as seen in the mm_cfg modified download txt: the cedille
>> replace by odd characters.
>
> How are you viewing the .txt file? The two bytes C3 A7 are the utf-8
> representation of the c-cedilla character. If you view that file as
> iso-8859-1 (latin-1 or western) encoding, you will see those two bytes
> as ç, but if you view it as uf-8 encoding, you will see the c-cedilla.
>
> In short, the file contains just what it should, but there is a
> Content-Transfer-Encoding issue. If you are viewing it in a browser, the
> issue is the default content character set in your web server. For
> example with Apache something like
>
> AddCharset utf-8 .txt
>
> will do what you want, or perhaps your browser has a selection. E.g.,
> Firefox has a text encoding selection in the View menu and you want
> Unicode, not Western.
>
> If you are actually downloading the file and viewing it with something
> else, the issue is with whatever you are viewing it with.

... Uh-oh ... <sheepish grin> ... you're right that the issue is what I'm
viewing it with.

Just to clarify: there are two .txt files ...

(A) an archive .txt.gz file before I made the change to the mm_cfg.py file; and
(B) an archive .txt.gz file after I made the change.

I followed the txt.gz link on the Pipermail page and got the options to
"Download" or "Open file".

FAIL -- On choosing the "Open file" with ArchiveManager/JEdit, File-A showed
the c-cedilla replaced by the question-mark; and File-B showed it replaced by
the ç characters.

SUCCESS -- However, choosing "Download", then gunzip and then open with JEdit I
get a better result: File A showed the c-cedilla replaced by the question-mark
as expected; but File-B shows the c-cedilla (happy days!).

So in short, Mark Sapiro's recommended fix -- https://wiki.list.org/x/15958250
-- has cracked this little chestnut.

Many thanks once again Mark.