On Nov 29, 2021, at 5:31 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull
<stephenjturnb...@gmail.com<mailto:stephenjturnb...@gmail.com>> wrote:

Jayson Smith writes:

Good point about DMARC. Does anyone know if Charter suddenly started
caring about some DMARC policies on or around this past Friday?

I for one don't know.  You'd have to ask their postmaster, or get the
subscriber to do so, to be sure.  I think it's as likely that they got
an update to their filters from a vendor.  That could be sensitive to
DMARC from alignment, or it could be something else.

I have my list set to munge the From: lines of messages from
senders E.G. AOL, Yahoo, etc. that publish a DMARC rejection
policy.

You could try setting up your list mail to participate in the ARC
protocol.[1]  I think most MTAs have options or plugins for this by
now.  Also Mailman 3 has an option to handle it itself, but it is
preferable for the MTA to handle it as Mailman 3 can't validate SPF.

On a slightly different topic, I've heard from a few Outlook users
that list messages are consistently ending up in their junkmail
folders.

All of the big providers have this problem occasionally, although my
impression that it's more of a problem with Microsoft than Google or
Yahoo!.  Again, ARC might help.

Yes, this mailman list has suddenly started going into my junk folder.

If you can get the problematic user to forward the entire message (forward as
attachment) you can examine the headers for the source that sent it to junk
mail; normally there are several. They will usualy have some simple-to-cryptic
message in the headers that will say how it examined the message, what score it
gave it and what score is required.  There are also headers for DKIM status and
SPF status.

For example, I think this is the one from our Barracuda system (I think) :

So this is the last step before O365, and in my case it’s %@$#*#& Microsoft
O365, because  we have a hybrid Exchange setup and our email is delivered
through our Barracuda antispam servers, so the O365 anti-spam process is
starved of spam, and apparently has quotas to meet or it’ll be fired, so it
just false-positives a ton of messages, and sadly they’re mainly Mailman lists
I NEED to keep up on, and their whitelisting process is, inexplicably, entirely
based on the From: sender address. :-(

ucf:0;jmr:0;auth:0;dest:J;OFR:SpamFilterAuthJ;ENG:(910001)(944506458)(944626604)(920097)(930097)(3100021);RF:JunkEmail;

This has just started happening in the last few weeks, so I think they’ve
turned on some stupid setting; my Exchange365 settings are to NOT send anything
to my junk folder.

I've had issues with other mailing lists, and in one we have to munge the
‘from’ addresses for all traffic not just the Yahoo ones :-/

Is this a user-enableable setting?

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona