On 5/25/22 19:32, Mark Dale via Mailman-Users wrote:

That got me Googling for How-to's on integrating MHonArc with Mailman. There's
a fair bit of conversation around this from days long ago, and a patch for
using MHonArc written by Mark S. back in 2014.

I didn't write that patch. It's from Richard Barrett who also created a patch for HtDig integration for archive searches. There are three branches at https://code.launchpad.net/~msapiro/mailman/mhonarc, https://code.launchpad.net/~msapiro/mailman/htdig and https://code.launchpad.net/~msapiro/mailman/htdig_mhonarc which are up to date with https://code.launchpad.net/~mailman-coders/mailman/2.1 with the mhonarc, htdig and both patches applied respectively. I never used the mhonarc or htdig_mhonarc branches, but I did use the htdig branch for a production Mailman 2.1 installation.

Before I go down this rabbit hole: was there any particular reason (back in the
day) that Pipermail was favoured (and implemented) over MHonArc.

Mailman was initially implemented by John Viega in the mid 1990s to manage a mailing list for fans of the Dave Mathews Band. I don't know why pipermail was chosen, but MHonArc was fairly new at that time and pipermail was probably more mature.