Software Info writes:

 > Just a little update. I just ran
 > # obhttpd -d -vvv -f obhttpd.conf and
 > # slowcgi -d -p /
 > to see if I could get anything that made sense show up on the screen
 > and the first error I saw was:  slowcgi: execve
 > /usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/: Permission denied
 > This is strange because slowcgi runs as www, obhttpd runs as www and
 > www is the owner of the cgi-bin directory. Not sure what I am missing
 > here.

What are the permissions on the cgi-bin directory?  Specifically, you
need "x" on that directory.  I don't know specifically about OpenBSD,
but on macOS "Big Sur" and on a recent missing "x" means you can't
search the directory.  In that case open(2) fails with

     [EACCES]           Search permission is denied for a component of
                        the path prefix.

and you'd get a 500 from the httpd.  The other possibility might be
that the cgi itself is setuid, and its owner and group don't have
permission to search.  (I don't know if that can actually happen, just
a WAG to cover all bases I can think of.)