On 10/13/22 13:33, gr...@mm.st wrote:

What is however important, is that for both lists mailman3 generates
approximately every minute a message that it tries to send to the list and the
message is catched by the mailman and requires moderation. As a result, I have
some 1000 moderation requests for each of the list every day. The requests are
mostly of the type

     Sender: foo-list-ow...@example.com
     Subject:
foo-list@example.com_post_from_foo-list-owner@example.com_requires_approval
     Reason: The message is not from a list member

There is something misconfigured here. What are the settings for the list's owners and moderators?

The above message is a notice to the owners and moderators about the held post. It should not be sent to the list.

I can see also some weird handling of bounced messages (if we try to send an
e-mail that bounces, in my opinion it should be silently discarded or sent to
foo-list-ow...@example.com).

There have been some small changes in bounce processing since 3.3.3 (see https://docs.mailman3.org/projects/mailman/en/latest/src/mailman/docs/NEWS.html), but they shouldn't affect this.

The envelope sender of messages from a list is listname-bounces@list.domain. Thus bounces should be returned to that address and processed by Mailman's bounce runner. There are several list settings that control this that are similar to MM 2.1. If the list's process_bounces setting is False, the bounce is ignored. If true, bounces are scored and delivery to the bouncing user is ultimately disabled and the user ultimately unsubscribed as in MM 2.1

I'm just guessing here, but your issues could be explained if your MTA is somehow dropping the -xxx part of the recipient when delivering a message to listname-...@example.com so all messages get delivered to the list. This can happen for example if your MTA is exim and your exim mailman transport does not have `rcpt_include_affixes = true`.