On Jul 17, 2014, at 1:51 AM, Benny Kjær Nielsen <mailingl...@freron.com> wrote:

> If a standard for encrypting the subject-header (and maybe other headers)
> existed then it should probably just require the headers to be moved into the
> encrypted plain text body part of the message. Email clients supporting the
> standard could then use these headers to replace placeholder headers (for
> example, Subject: Encrypted) and email clients not supporting it would still
> be showing the real headers as part of the body of the message (ok, then it's
> a problem when displaying an HTML body part, but HTML is always a problem). I
> don't think anything like this is very likely to ever become standardized
> behavior, but I may be wrong.

You would have to check the relevant PGP/MIME and S/MIME RFCs, but I believe
that the standard technique is to take the entire contents of the message (all
relevant headers included), put that into a text/rfc822 MIME bodypart and sign
and/or encrypt it.  Of course, that text/rfc822 MIME bodypart could be composed
of multiple other MIME bodyparts.

On the other end, you reverse the process and display only the signed/encrypted
headers to the recipient.  The unsigned/unencrypted headers should still be
available, of course.  If you display both unsigned/encrypted headers as well
as the signed/encrypted ones, then you need to make sure that there is a visual
distinction between the two.

But I've seen a couple of guys on this list who know a lot more about RFCs than
I do.  I'll let them choose whether or not to step forward and identify
themselves, and provide whatever advice they can.

--
Brad Knowles <b...@shub-internet.org>