Marco Carmosino wrote (at 11:41 on 18 Jan 2015):

The "threaded inbox" smart folder described by Benny is actually perfect for my purposes, thanks, and it is indeed working dynamically, sorry for the confusion.

The only issue remaining is mailing lists: there are two "starting" messages for the thread, one reflected by the mailing list and one from my Sent Messages folder, showing up in my "Threaded Inbox"....two copies of my reply will show up
in the threaded inbox, one from Sent Messages and one from the list.

How do people deal with this in MailMate?

I just delete the message I sent as soon as I see it show up in the list.

> On 17 Jan 2015, at 7:05, Kai Großjohann wrote:

I've got a solution that might work for the replies. Instead of relying on the copies of the messages that MailMate saves when I send one, I am Bcc'ing myself. This means that all the incoming email filters apply to my own messages, too.

I use this undocumented preference to achieve this:

MmDefaultBccHeader = "<.sender.>";

I believe it can be set with the following shell command:

defaults write com.freron.MailMate MmDefaultBccHeader '<.sender.>'

Kai