On 15 May 2015, at 5:04, Thomas Floeren wrote:

On 15 May 2015, at 2:55, Christian Hopps <cho...@gmail.com> wrote:

Multi-system cross-platform access and searching.

My imap-email has been my "cloud" like storage for a lot longer than the
phrase "store it in cloud" has existed. :)

Hmm. For this purpose I still would rather keep my mail box tiny (current & recent stuff) and drobbox-sync my old archives across the platforms. (replace "dropbox' with the service of your choice)

I had a slightly different take here 5 years ago. I found myself working in 3 different locations, with access to shared Windows PCs.

Yes I could access my mail through a webmail interface using those PCs but it was a slow and clunky experience, so I created a password protected website where I could attach files to posts, search the contents etc and hey presto I had my own "private cloud". This was using Drupal 6; Drupal 7 was too resource intensive for my then laptop.

For backups I had cronjobs running on the ISP host which dumped the MySQL database(s) and created a tarball of the directories, and another job on my home system which grabbed those backups.

If you have a suitable desktop or server at home which is reachable from the outside world, there's no reason why you can't do the same, and skip the hosting ISP bit.