On 19 May 2015, at 2:49, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:

Then I'll review the logs. I suspect it's some kind of server error which triggers MailMate to regularly retry. I see a thread in the MailMate list archives from 18-Feb-2015 which mentions this behavior may be a known issue with Gmail for some users on some networks, There has been many server issues in the past. In some cases Gmail is to blame and in others MailMate is to blame, but surprisingly often there is not much to learn from past experience :-)

Below is an excerpt that might indicate the cause, but I will send the full logs directly. Thank you for your help, and the great application!

        14:11:42 S: * BYE Invalid character in literal
        14:11:42 Error: TCP socket was unexpectedly closed.
        14:11:42 S:
        14:11:42 Error code: 2
        14:11:42 Failed action (1008). Reset observed read/write timeouts: 8/8

        14:11:42 Handling reply
        14:11:42 Error: Failed multiple retries (4). Final error code was 2.