On 27 Jun 2015, at 19:43, Allie Martin wrote:

After running the command which seemed to go OK, I attempted a spotlight search. However, spotlight would not respond in that I am able to enter a search string but no matches appear. This occurred even for matches elsewhere on the system. Spotlight was not busy indexing either.

My guess is that MailMate could not make Spotlight itself hang, but I might be wrong.

So I opened Activity Monitor and saw that the mds process was registered as using 100CPU although 100CPU was not really in use when looking at the CPU load realtime monitoring. It seemed that Spotlight had 'partially' crashed. So I killed the mds process which auto-restarted. I could then do spotlight searches again. However, no MailMate matches are showing up.

Did you enable the custom location in the General preferences pane of MailMate?