On 14 Jan 2016, at 19:45, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:

One of the IMAP servers I connect to changed its (self-signed) certificate. The resulting pop-up from MailMate apparently blocked all of the other servers connected to, on machines including the one that runs SpamSieve. The result, of course, has been a flood of spam... Is there any way to avoid this blockage? My SpamSieve machine, though always on, is often unattended.

No, there is no way to do that. MailMate must warn about the self-signed certificate. It's not ideal that it also blocks your other accounts, but it's not a high priority to fix that (non-trivial change). I cannot think of a good workaround. Maybe a hidden preference which simply treats such problems (and similar problems) as a temporary issue (it would put the account into the “unavailable” state). I'll consider that.