It works only for the mailbox I was in in the moment I close MailMate.
Example: If I'm in Inbox and I'm closing MailMate, after restarting MailMate it only works when I'm in or switching to Inbox, but not in Sent, Drafts, Deleted or Junk. Correspondently, if I'm in Sent when I'm closing MailMate, after restarting the focus works only in Sent but in no other mailbox.