On Thu, 19 Apr 2012, Benny Kj?r Nielsen wrote:

On 19 Apr 2012, at 0:38, Baron Fujimoto wrote:

As far as I can tell, MailMate should not configured to play any sounds when new mail arrives, yet whenever a new message arrives in the INBOX folder of my source, the "glass" sound plays. The only place I could find
that seemed relevant was Preference > Counters > Sound. Am I missing
correct place to turn this off somewhere?

Not really. You are just the victim of bad user interface design.

MailMate allows you to configure 4 counters, one for each corner of the dock icon. This is what is illustrated by the four dots in the left side of the Counters preferences pane. You simply need to find the counter with the ?Glass? sound and then change it to ?None?.

Originally, the Counters interface was a quick temporary solution. I still plan to change how this works, but it is not yet a high priority. I'll see if I can change the wording used below the dots to be less ambiguous.

Ah, I see how it works now. I had assumed the settings in the right side
of that preferences panel were independent of the positioning settings
on the left side.  I see now that they are per position setting.  I've
found the elusive "glass" notification and disabled it.

Wow, I just realized how completely I was misunderstanding this preference. Thanks for this (very old) thread!

Note that MailMate also has a slot in the System pref pane “Notifications”, which seems to be ignored. That’s where I first went to turn the sound off.

John