On 5 Aug 2016, at 12:42, John D. Muccigrosso wrote:

On 5 Aug 2016, at 11:51, Randall Meadows wrote:

On 5 Aug 2016, at 7:07, John D. Muccigrosso wrote:

First, I’m not sure that’s what it’s called, but I mean the main window with the list of messages.

Highlight a message in the list. Do a shift-up/down arrow. The message above/below the one you’re on gets added to the selection. Perfect. Now cmd-shift-arrow. The same thing happens. What I would expect to happen is that the whole set of messages above/below gets added to the selection. Mail.app doesn’t do this either, FWIW. I guess this is because I expect cmd-arrow to move me to the top or bottom of a list of items, which it doesn’t here, just like it moves me to the top or bottom of a body of text. (In the Finder, cmd-arrow moves you to the enclos-ing/-ed folder.)

Just a SWAG, but when selecting, ⌘ takes on a different meaning, typically allowing a disjoint selection. No idea if that's what going on here, but might be an explanation for your expectation.

Yes, when clicking, ⌘ enables discrete selection while shift does continuous, but with arrows, shift enables select and ⌘ makes the movement go “all the way” in whatever direction you’re going. This works with text and I guess my expectation is that it would work here in the same way.

Option-shift-arrow appears to do what you want. This is a standard behavior in list views.

Surprisingly, despite having used every MacOS version since System 3.2/Finder 5.3, this is the first I've heard of the cmd-shift-arrow combination selecting "all the way" up or down, although it does indeed seem to have been standard behavior in text views forever. I guess I've met my minimum quota of new facts for the day...