On 30 Sep 2016, at 10:07, John D. Muccigrosso wrote:

I have an email address that I use frequently, but which is really just a forwarding address that I read in my iCloud inbox.

When I try to send a message from that address, MM2 pops up an alert saying:

Unexpected return code 550 (expected 250):
“5.7.0 From address is not one of your addresses.”.

Tip: Open the Activity Viewer (⌥⌘0) before retrying. The SMTP log file might provide additional information.

The Activity Viewer shows that the error message is coming from my me.com (iCloud) account.

How do I get MM2 to stop trying the me.com SMTP server and use another one? The address is listed in that other source account as an email belonging to me.

(Hoping this will work, btw, with another server that will let the mail go through.)

Responding to myself.

Turned out that this works fine once I create a new message. MM2 seems to have been stuck on using the me.com account to send the message even after I had removed that address from the iCloud list of addresses. When I made a new message with the address already moved off that list and onto the other server, it worked fine.

John