I think my original question/observation has become lost in the thread, and I may not have phrased my last remark well.

Initially, my sig marker was just <dash><dash> and what that caused was my closing salutation to be made into a header by the markdown processor, e.g..

best wishes
--
Verdon Vaillancourt

best wishes
--
Verdon Vaillancourt

In the end, I think mail mate is likely behaving as it should, and I didn’t understand that the sig marker required a <space> after the dashes.

Sorry for any confusion I have caused,