On 6 Jan 2017, at 8:53, Robert M. Münch wrote:

Since the last MM update (5320) I see Gmail mailboxes in strange places (red). Any idea what this is? These weren't there before.

See the Submailboxes pane in the mailbox editor of these mailboxes (“Mailboxes ▸ Edit Smart Mailbox”).

And what is the orange mailbox about?

I think this can happen if you ever dragged an email into the “[Gmail]” mailbox itself. MailMate then tries to create the mailbox on the server, but this is not possible with Gmail putting it into the failed state. It's not a problem, but you might want to take the mailbox explicitly offline in order to stop MailMate from trying to create the mailbox. And make sure it does not contain any emails. (Children of this mailbox should of course be online.)