I know there's a menu item, but as a keyboard guy I just type command-option-control F to bring up a folder-specific search box. If the current folder is the Sent folder, it defaults to "To/Cc/Bcc"; for anything else, it defaults to "From". This works well, and I almost never use the global search box.