On 11 Jul 2017, at 18:04, Patrick Pritchard wrote:

(Oddly enough, I’ve played with _many_ email programs of late, and this “feature” is lacking in practically all of them. All email programs seem to have a “Mark read after XX seconds” feature, but not a “Mark read on opening in separate window” feature. Even Mail.app needs a 3rd party plug-in. :( )

Is there a way for someone to create a “bundle” to add this functionality? Is there a bundle API?

No, this is also best done by me introducing a setting and you are not the first to ask. If you enable the following then this should work in the next update:

defaults write com.freron.MailMate MmMessagesWebViewMarksUnreadOnlyIfSingleMessage -bool YES

It'll also be a GUI setting in a future update.