On 14 Dec 2017, at 10:44, Tracy Valleau wrote:

As an Apple Developer since 1978, I can say that I quit using TM years ago. It is a consumer-level product, with modest capabilities and horrible reliability.

You asked for a solution. You need more robust backup software, which offers a mimicking of TM.

Two extremely reliable options are Carbon Copy Cloner and Chronosync. Both can be configured to run automatically whenever you like.

Chronosync is extremely versatile, and can out-do TM in its level of granularity.

Neither of which, though, do "versioned" backups like TM does, right? You only get the most recent "snapshot" of the drive, not any history of any items?

(I use CCC nightly for a quick-recovery in case of major disk failure, and TM to save my butt when I do something silly in `git`...)