On 13 Feb 2018, at 0:16, Rick Holzgrafe wrote:

This means that we need a way to preserve our archived mail. That’s easy enough—EagleFiler will do it, or we could just make a Finder copy of our cache folders. But these mechanisms do not preserve the tags (even though both EagleFiler and the Finder do support tagging), so we will lose all of our carefully-built-up organization.

Is there any way to preserve not just the mail, but also the tags that we have applied in Mailmate? I have explored the Application Support > Mailmate folder, but as far as I can tell the tag info is not stored there, except for a handy list of all the tag names.

It's unfortunately not easily accessed. Ideally, MailMate would map its IMAP-based tags to file system tags, but I simply haven't had the time to implement that. This would also preserve the tags if simply exporting/dragging emails to a disk folder.

As far as I know, we won’t be able to simply transfer our mail from our own server to a hosted server.

Moving emails between IMAP servers preserves tags as long as the destination server supports IMAP keywords.