On 2022-02-22 at 22:51:11 UTC-0500 (Tue, 22 Feb 2022 19:51:11 -0800)
Randy Bush <mailmate@lists.freron.com>
is rumored to have said:

You need to unsubscribe from them. Otherwise, MM will refetch the
subscription list, see the (non-existent) mailbox there, and try to
fetch it.

so that will actually nuke tem as opposed to just not showing them to
me?

More accurately: you will no longer be shown ghost mailboxes that are inaccessible because they no longer really exist.

Every time I've had this happen, it has been because the mailbox no longer exists on the server *except* in the account's subscription list. I believe the root cause is a bug in the interaction between MailMate's create/rename/subscribe logic and its task/connection pooling.

--
Bill Cole
Not Currently Available For Hire