I appreciate this detailed explanation. I've been trying to figure out WTF was
going on in my Contacts app for a while. This sheds the light that I need.
Honestly, the Contacts app is NASTY but it integrates with everything Apple,
and I have so many Apple devices, I feel pretty locked into it.

Thanks again,
Verdon