Dear All,

Thanks for the elaborate answer.

Indeed I din’t think about DMARC, SPF & DKIM and it makes sense indeed. This also explains why following a post I get a my mail from the list to the list, cc me.

For those intrested

        From: MM_Arc via mailmate <mailmate@lists.freron.com>
        Cc: MM_Arc <mailm...@arcict.com>
        Sender: "mailmate" <mailmate-boun...@lists.freron.com>

Many thanks for the info

Regards

Marc

On 20 Dec 2023, at 4:55, Quinn Comendant via mailmate wrote:

On 19 Dec 2023, at 16:06, Bill Cole wrote:

Mailman modifies the "From" header of messages sent from domains which would otherwise be widely rejected […] I won't try to pick apart the precise details for this list. Perhaps Benny can explain the specific rules.

Mailman checks the DMARC policy published to the DNS TXT records of the domain in the "From" header of the original message. If the policy is 'p=reject' or 'p=quarantine', Mailman may modify the "From" header to use the list's email address or the server's hostname to prevent rejection due to DMARC, SPF, or DKIM checks.

It doesn't treat all senders the same because some people self-host their email domain and don't use DKIM or SPF.

Quinn