On 18 May 2024, at 20:51, Bill Cole wrote:

On 2024-05-18 at 13:36:43 UTC-0400 (Sat, 18 May 2024 19:36:43 +0200)
Tobias Kirchhofer via mailmate <mailmate@lists.freron.com>
is rumored to have said:

Hi,

I have two accounts that have the same sender address with different SMTP servers. It is not possible to choose which account I send from with the "shared" email address. It always falls back to one of the two (always the same one). I'm sure this should work, but I don't know how :-)

I'm not so sure it should work...

These days it is relatively unusual for a sender address to be legitimately used via diverse paths. In many cases it will result in mail being distrusted at the delivery end due to issues with authentication mechanisms like SPF and DKIM.

The SPF settings are correct. It is a Postfix SMTP and Exchange Online :-/ SPF is configured correctly to allow sending from both IP addresses.

Can anyone enlighten me?

One possible messy workaround: add a different second bogus address to each account with the shared sending address, which will cause MM to reformat how addresses are shown in the "From:" pull-down menu. See the attached (severely compressed) image. It shows my 11 configured accounts, including 2 ("Personal" and "GMail") which each have 2 specific addresses configured (in addition to each having "address patterns" configured.)

Okay, thank you, i’ll figure that out too.

--
Bill Cole
(AKA @grumpybozo@toad.social and many *@billmail.scconsult.com addresses)

Key fingerprint: 3A90 9832 05EC 7CE2 9093 55D3 910B 0343 8519 FC19