On 2015-09-24 11:07, Jay Hennigan wrote:
I see a lot of this with AOL's FBL, very little with others. This may be due to the wording or layout of their GUI, perhaps the "Spam" and "Delete" buttons are close together or similar in appearance. These are typically timely, but occasionally long-delayed.

I've looked at AOL's web interface, it doesn't seem any worse than Gmail or others. But perhaps it's the audience that it attracts (or rather, the audience that isn't repelled by @aol.com)

I would like to request all providers to (A) consider changing their UI
to account for this option / suggest unsubscription and deletion instead
and (B) mitigate the impact of multiple consecutive reports.

An alternative would be a confirmation dialog box "This will send a report to the sender's ISP that the email is abuse. Future email from this sender will be routed to your "Junk" folder. Are you sure?"

This would be nice. Although I suspect users wouldn't read or pay attention to the warning anyway, at least past the first time it appeared, so I doubt much would really change from the warning itself -- But, if receiving ISP were to start junking that mail (regardless of other factors), it might help.

By the way, this isn't ex-post-facto. It's simply reported later than expected. Ex-post-facto would be if the definition of "spam" changed between when the mail was sent and when it was reported.

I'm not sure what Gil is seeing, but I regularly see users reporting user-to-user correspondence and other obviously solicited messages. I get entire discussions about what restaurant, whether to attend a particular seminar, etc, all coming in at once.

Part of me really wants to respect the complainant's wishes and blacklist all mail from that sender, but obviously this wasn't the intent, and ultimately would only be satisfying on a short term basis.

--
Dave Warren
http://www.hireahit.com/