Sounds like the AUTH-FAIL attack, which we have seen operating on Windows machines, eg mailcracker.exe.

Several RBL's are dedicated to reporting on these.. Sometimes the attack engine is not properly configured, and you get stuff like this, but of course more information is needed.

This could be another script kiddie attack..

Was it distributed IP(s), a single IP, ..

Again, it helps when asking about attacks to provide a little more log information.

(Check the IP against SpamRats, SpamHaus etc.)