From: Franck Martin via mailop<mailto:mailop@mailop.org>
Sent: ‎2/‎27/‎2016 7:39 PM
To: Mark Jeftovic<mailto:mar...@easydns.com>
Cc: Suresh Ramasubramanian<mailto:ops.li...@gmail.com>;
mailop<mailto:mailop@mailop.org>
Subject: Re: [mailop] proper NULL MX behaviour for MTAs?

On Sat, Feb 27, 2016 at 7:23 PM, Mark Jeftovic

On 2016-02-27 9:59 PM, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:
> A domain with a null mx may well originate email but will absolutely not
> receive email - so mail gets trashed at your end as well without staying
> endlessly on your mall queues
>
> You can possibly correlate that mx with the behavior of domains that are
> sending you mail.. Though a domain rather than IP bl may make sense.

Sorry, I realized after I sent that I needed to clarify that what I'm
observing are MTAs attempting to deliver email to addresses at IP of the
A record for the domain, ignoring the presence of its NULL MX.

So the originating MTAs are ignoring the NULL MX and attempting to
deliver to the A hostname, leading me to surmise they are spambots or
zombies.

This could be true but then RFC7505 is recent, so I'm not sure that proper MTAs
are yet properly behaving. I wonder what sendmail, postfix, exim really do?