With thanks to Google for pushing the cause, I implemented STARTTLS
functionality on my org’s MX (as well as outbound SMTP with opportunistic
STARTTLS).

Does anyone have any insight into how long it might take Gmail to acknowledge
the STARTTLS availability when composing a new message to a domain at my org,
and consequently not show the red unlocked padlock in the compose message UI?

I am assuming that for “known” domains Gmail caches results for STARTTLS
availability, rather than testing each time a message is composed. The TTL in
DNS for the MX record of the domain(s) has long since passed. My own personal
testing seems to indicate I didn’t do anything terribly stupid when
implementing STARTTLS at the MX.

Kirk MacDonald
System Administrator
Internet