On 2016-04-18 10:38, Michael Peddemors wrote:
Registrars paid a lot of money to be able to offer TLD's and they shouldn't really be punished just because they are cheaper than other domains.

Personally, I'm going to start adding points to any TLD that offers first-year-cheap discounts as these attract spammers and other rats who want disposable domains but don't care about generating long-term domains. .biz and .info poisoned their respective wells doing this, and now others are following. I understand your point, but I disagree: Their success with a poorly selected business model is not my problem.

I'm not saying a TLD can't run promotions, but rather, that the upfront cost shouldn't be it, I'd be fine with a TLD doing second-year-free or similar.

--
Dave Warren
http://www.hireahit.com/