On 4/29/16 7:25 AM, Benoit Panizzon wrote:
I am seeing in my logs some bounces messages (empty sender) from
> various outbound.protection.outlook.com servers. All those bounce
> messages are directed towards one specific email address which is
> probably used as an envelope field in a spam run.
>
> Now my question is: if it comes from outbound servers for outlook.com,
> shouldn't the mails also pass through some kind of inbound servers at
> outlook.com? If that's the case, how comes that those messages which
> surely have a wrong DMARC, SPF and DKIM pass through the incoming
> gateways?
We have exactly the same problem. We sometimes observe that some of our
customers get DOSed by large volumes of outbound.protection.outlook.com
bounces.

The 'Attacker' apparently is a botnet (aka many different ip
addresses) that fakes the sender@our-domain and sends very small emails
to various non existing recipients hosted on
outbound.protection.outlook.com servers.

I had similar issues a few years ago with Cox.net.

Their mail servers were bounce flooding my mail servers due to a Joe Job. Contacted them, and rather then fixing their mail servers so it wouldn't accept-then-bounce or blocking the source, they instead blacklisted my e-mail address.

Companies need to get their shit together and solve the source of problems, not band-aid random things and pretend like its not going on in the first place.

--
Brielle Bruns
http://www.sosdg.org    /     http://www.ahbl.org