As an ESP, we host mailing list signup forms for many customers. Of late,
it appears they have been getting pounded on with fraudulent signups for
real addresses. Sometimes the people confirm by clicking the confirmation
link in the message and we are left scratching our heads as to why they
would do that. Mostly they get ignored and sometimes they come back as spam
complaints.

One opinion I got regarding this was that people were using bots to sign up
to newsletter lists other bot-driven email addresses at gmail, yahoo, etc.,
to make those mailboxes look more real before they became "weaponized" for
use in sending junk. That does not seem to be entirely what is happening
here...

Today we got a set of complaints for what appears to be a personal email
address at a reasonably sized ISP. The complaint clearly identified the
messages as a signup confirmation message and chastised us for not having
the form protected by a CAPTCHA. Of course, they blocked some of our IPs
for good measure :( They characterized it as a DDoS.

What are the folks on this fine list doing about this kind of abuse? We do
have ability to turn on CAPTCHA for our customers, but often they have
nicely integrated the signup forms into their own web sites and making it
work for those is pretty complicated. If I enabled CAPTCHA naively, the
subscribers would have to click the submit form twice and then click the
confirm on the email. The UX for that sucks, but such is the cost of
allowing jerks on the internet...

Rate limiting doesn't seem to be useful since the forms are being submitted
at low rates and from a wide number of IP addresses.

I look forward to hearing what others here are doing.